Seminario Interuniversitario de Investigación en Ciencias Matemáticas
Guidelines for SIDIM Speakers
This year the SIDIM will be held virtually. Speakers will be assigned to specific "Break-rooms". When a speaker turn to talk comes, the host of the break-room will give that speaker sharing privilege so that he or she can do the presentation. The schedule of the break-rooms will be announced about one week before the activity.
The time periods for SIDIM presentations are:
- plenary talks are 45-50 minutes long, with about 10 minutes for questions;
- contributed talks are 20 minutes long with an additional 5 minutes for questions;
- poster presentations are about 50 minutes long.
Most of the general guidelines for SIDIM speaker listed below are still valid for virtual presentations. Thus we suggest speakers to review them.
- Arrive at the meeting room ten minutes before your session starts. Introduce yourself to the session chair and confirm the title of your presentation.
- The use of pointers is recommended to avoid blocking the audience's view of the screen.
- If necessary, speak from notes to keep on track; do not read from your paper or from the screen.
- You must speak within the time limit, allowing time for the audience to ask questions.
- Speak clearly and at a reasonable pace, but speak loud enough to be heard in the back of the room.
- Extend some courtesy to the remaining speakers; end on time and stay for the entire session.
- Use effective audio-visual aids.